By: Ashley Noack, CCH
VIRGO - THE VIRGIN
(August 22- September 23)
Element: Earth—Practical, Resourceful, Regenerative Planet: Mercury— Logic, Reason, Intellect Body Parts Ruled: Small Intestines + Gallbladder / Nervous System
Modest / Analytical / Service-Oriented / Organized / Industrious / ConscientiousSummer is nearly over, and the harvest time is here, but the work is not over. Sweet, organized Virgo knows that this is the time for preparation, future plans, and preserving goodness for the health and happiness for all. The virgin, long associated with purity, is concerned with the affairs of daily work and personal ritual. Virgo understands that as an individual, sacrifices must be made for the wellbeing of the whole. The Vestal Virgins, priestesses of ancient Rome, were accorded the high honor of presiding over holy days and tending daily the city’s sacred flame, meant to symbolize the life-force of the Roman empire. In exchange, they devoted themselves entirely to the state at the expense of a life outside their duties. Much the same, Virgos will apply themselves completely to a task in service to those they care for.
Wellness Tips for Virgo:
- Declutter your home— Virgo is extra sensitive to mess. A home in disarray often shows the state of the Virgin’s mind, so clear some space.
- Make mealtimes a ritual— Keep your digestion moving with a relaxing walk outdoors followed by a warm cup of herbal tea for a gentle nightcap.
- Make the most of the harvest by enjoying raw, lacto-fermented foods, traditionally crafted preserve to nourishment. Such foods are also wonderful allies to your microbiome, which are the foundation for proper gut health.
- Cultivate an ‘attitude of gratitude’— Virgos can become chronically unhappy as they fixate on what could be done better. Finding at least one thing each day to express your thankfulness will help life feel just a little more joyful.
- Discover a new craft— Working with their hands on something creative and functional (win-win) helps Virgos get out of their brain and usefully apply their detail-oriented nature.
- Maintaining a garden, or the very least some potted kitchen herbs helps ground Virgos in healing earth energy.
- Start the day with a focused morning routine. If a Virgo has an air-tight routine, they can relax and cruise through the rest of their day.
- Relax at a farmer’s market or enroll with a local CSA— Clean, organic, whole food isn’t just a nice thought, but a necessity for Virgos. Supporting their community also emotionally connects them to their food and loved ones in a deep and mutually supportive manner.
- Purification is innate to this sign, and they will enjoy clarifying practices such as fasting and saunas. Remember to replenish! Note: Excessive fasting is contraindicated for individuals who are in a depleted or recovery state. Proceed with discretion and the guidance of a healthcare practitioner.
REMEDIES FOR VIRGOS
- Lemon Balm - one of our favorite and most used nervines, lemon balm is perfect for calming an anxious mind, for settling the nervous system, and helping on move through life in a smoother and calmer manner. It's perfect for those who don't always show their anxieties and gentle enough for almost everyone, children included.
- Holy Basil - related to the basil used to make pesto, Holy Basil has a strong history of use in the Ayurvedic herbalism tradition. It has a calming and uplifting effect, particularly on the brain, and has studies documenting its effectiveness at reducing feelings of sadness and anxiety
- Oat straw - the ultimate nervous system restorative, Oat straw (and Milky Oats) nourish and soothe the nervous system. If you think if your nerves like wires, that have perhaps become a bit frayed, oat straw goes in and smoothes out the edges so things can run more smoothly.
- Monarda - also known as Bee Balm or Wild Oregano, Monarda is excellent at opening up the brain as well as the sinuses. Perfect for the changing weather seasons when congestion and stuffiness may be causing your head to feel like it's full of cotton, monarda will move the energy up and out.
- Reishi - Known as the longevity herb of Chinese medicine, the reishi mushroom has been utilized for its healthful properties for over 4,000 years. In the Taoist tradition, this herb has been consumed for its ability to enhance spiritual receptivity while calming the mind and spirit
- Gem Essence of Sapphire - strengthens devotion and commitment to Divine purpose; promotes loyalty and responsibility to one's true work on the planet; helps us connect to the energetic support we need to do what we came here to do
- Flower Essence of Beech - For those who feel the need to see more good and beauty in all that surrounds them. And, although much appears to be wrong, to have the ability to see the good growing within. So as to be able to be more tolerant, lenient and understanding of the different way each individual and all things are working to their own final perfection.
- Flower Essence of Dill - helps with your ability to experience and absorb a wide variety of sensory experiences for when you have a heightened awareness of taste, touch, hearing, sight, smell, that are leading to overwhelm due to excess stimulation, hypersensitivity to the environment or to outer activity, sensory congestion
BE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER TO GET NOTIFIED WHEN THE NEXT MEDICAL ASTROLOGY POST COMES OUT.
- The Only Astrology Book You’ll Ever Need by Joanna Martine Woolfolk
- Planetary Apothecary by Stephanie Gailing
- Spiritual Astrology: A Path to Divine Awakening by Jan Spiller
- Alaskan Essences (Sapphire description)
- The Twelve Healers and Other Remedies - Dr. Edward Bach (flower essence descriptions)